PREP: 10 MINS COOK: 4 HRS, 15 MINS - 7 HRS, 15 MINS
· knob of butter
· ½ tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
· 1 large onion, finely chopped
· 1 ½ tbsp flour
· 650g boneless, skinless chicken thigh fillets
· 3 garlic cloves, crushed
· 400g baby new potatoes, halved
· 2 sticks celery, diced
· 2 carrots, diced
· 250g mushrooms, quartered
· 15g dried porcini mushroom, soaked in 50ml boiling water
· 500ml stock made with 2 very low salt chicken stock cubes
· 2 tsp Dijon mustard, plus extra to serve
· 2 bay leaves
1. Heat a knob of butter and ½ tbsp rapeseed or olive oil in a large frying pan, cook 1 finely chopped large onion for 8-10 mins until softened and starting to caramelise.
2. Meanwhile, put 1 ½ tbsp flour and a little salt and pepper in a bowl and toss 650g boneless, skinless chicken thigh fillets in it.
3. Add 3 crushed garlic cloves and the chicken to the pan and cook for 4-5 mins more until the chicken is starting to brown.
4. Transfer to your slow cooker (We used a Tower Slow Cooker; available in our Quadrant Department Stores), along with 400g halved baby new potatoes, 2 diced celery sticks, 2 diced carrots, 250g quartered mushrooms, 15g dried and soaked porcini mushrooms with the 50ml soaking liquid, 500ml chicken stock, 2 tsp Dijon mustard and 2 bay leaves.
5. Give it a good stir. Cook on Low for 7 hours or High for 4 hours.
6. Remove the bay leaves and serve with a little Dijon mustard on the side.
Recipe from BBC Good Food website.