ABOUT THE YEAR
The United Nations has designated 2012 the International Year of Co-operatives, which launches on 12th January 2012. The aim of the year is to boost understanding of co-operatives across the globe by demonstrating how, through the co-operative values and principles, ‘Co-operative Enterprises Build a Better World’.
The year will highlight the contribution of co-operatives to socio-economic development, particularly their impact on poverty reduction, employment generation and social integration.
From farmers to football teams, healthcare to housing providers, photographers to food growers, Chelmsford Star is one of 1.4 million enterprises in the 98 countries across the world taking part in the 2012 celebrations.
Did you know?
- Nearly 1 billion people worldwide are members of co-operatives
- Over 3 billion people secure their livelihood through co-operatives
- There are over 5000 co-operatives in the UK
- Co-operatives are owned and controlled by their members
- There are 12.8 million members of co-operatives in the UK i.e. one in every five of the population - are you one of them?
- Co-operatives give people an equal say and share of the profits
Chelmsford Star Co-operative will run a series of events over the year so watch this space for more details.
To find out more about International Year of Co-operatives visit www.2012.coop