Caramel sauce (V)
Raising a glass to St Patrick on 17 March? Save a little Guinness for this sauce — it adds great depth of flavour
Makes 300ml • Ready in 30 mins, plus cooling
- 440ml Guinness Draught in Can
- 50g Co-op Fairtrade dark brown soft sugar
- 150g golden caster sugar
- 75ml Co-op double cream
- 25g Co-op unsalted butter
- Co-op Irresistible clotted cream ice cream or fresh fruit, to serve (optional)
- Put the Guinness stout and both sugars in a high-sided pan over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat and bring to a boil.
- Simmer rapidly for about 20 mins, stirring occasionally, until the sauce coats the back of a spoon. Take the pan off the heat.
- Add the cream and butter, then stir until melted. Serve warm with ice cream or fruit, if you like. Once cooled, the sauce will keep for up to 3 days, chilled, covered in cling film.