Join millions of people reducing their plastic waste…
Plastic Free July is a global movement that helps millions of people be part of the solution to plastic pollution, so we can have cleaner streets, oceans, and beautiful communities.
Packaging has its place; it protects our food and keeps it fresher and safer for longer.
We want to keep plastics and packaging out of the oceans by using less and making our products easy to recycle.
Our Co-op branded products are making a difference…
- Milk Bottle tops: Our milk bottle tops are a shade lighter, making it easier for recycling machines to sort them.
- Meat Packaging: Our cooked meat packaging is made with single material, making it easier to recycle and saving 163 tonnes of plastic from landfill.
- Water Bottles: Our own brand still, sparkling, flavoured water, carbonated drinks and mixers are made of 100% recycled material, meaning they are fully recyclable, saving 1,400 tonnes of plastic.
- Pizza Trays: In 2017, we introduced new corrugated cardboard pizza discs preventing 200 tonnes of polystyrene boards going to landfill each year.
- Tomato Trays: 670,000 packets of cherry and baby plum tomatoes have been moved into cardboard saving 68 tonnes of plastic each year.
- Mushroom Pots: Our mushrooms do not come in black packaging anymore, so they can easily be recycled.
- Tissue Boxes: Our tissue boxes are fully made from FSC paper, without plastic so they can be recycled.
Help the environment with these easy tips:
- Remember to take reusable bags when you go shopping.
- Rinse your packaging, this removes any residue to make sure it can be recycled.<
- Only buy what you need to cut down on food waste.
- Donate unwanted goods -If you are clearing out any old furniture, clothing, jewellery or electronics, take them to a charity shop, so they can be reused by someone else – and raise money for a good cause at the same time.
- Read the label – One of the easiest ways to see if something can be recycled is to check for recycling labels on the pack.