Chelmsford Star Co-operative Society Limited
Share Capital Investment factsheet
Share Capital represents an investment in the equity of Chelmsford Star Co‑operative Society Limited. Members may invest any amount from £1 to £50,000, the upper level restricted by the Society’s Rules.
The value of your investment remains at par and will not go up or down. The Society gives no specific security against the investment other than the strength of its own independently audited balance sheet, copies of which are available on request or on the Society’s website.
Matters relating to Interest include:
- Interest is not subject to deduction of taxation and the gross amount will be credited to the account annually, unless payment of interest is requested by the member.
- Interest is calculated on a daily basis.
- Where adding interest to the account would increase the balance above the £50,000 maximum limit, the excess amount will be paid to keep the account within the Rule’s limits.
- Interest is paid on Investment Shares at rates which is determined by the Board of Directors and may vary if market conditions change, but which will always be competitive. Alterations to interest rates will be advised by notices prominently displayed in the registered office and on the website, similar to the announcement appearing below.
- Interest may be requested to be paid half yearly, where the capital sum invested exceeds £15,000. Interest cheques may not be reinvested.
Taxpayers have a responsibility to declare interest to HM Revenue and Customs.
Investment amount Interest Rates Loyalty bonus (payable January 2019)
(Effective 28th January 2018)
Up to £4,999 0.25% -
£5,000 up to £9,999 0.25% up to 0.6%
£10,000 up to £14,999 0.75% up to 1.55%
£15,000 up to £50,000 1.75% up to 1.75%
Loyalty Bonus – from 28th January 2018 amounts held until 26th January 2019 will attract a bonus for each complete calendar month of investment.
Monies added after 28th January 2018, in the above stated interest bands, will accrue a loyalty bonus at 1/12th of the advertised rate for each complete month of investment, provided they remain invested until 26th January 2019.
Amounts withdrawn before 26th January 2019 will still receive interest at the publicised rate for that band of investment up to the date of withdrawal, but will not qualify for any bonus.
In the event of a part withdrawal, the amount which remains invested will continue to accrue bonus (at the rate applicable to that band of investment) provided the holding has not fallen below the minimum qualifying level for loyalty bonus.
Withdrawals: Ordinarily, the following timescales apply;
· Upto £20,000 allow seven days for processing and receipt of your withdrawal.
· Greater than £20,000 within a 30 day period, 30 days notice may apply.
In the unlikely event that members collectively withdraw in excess of £500,000 in a calendar month, funds will be available within 90 days.
Please note: The Society abides by a code of practice which requires it to provide a statement to its shareholders of the nature of their investment and any change affecting it. The position each member occupies as a shareholder of Chelmsford Star Co-operative Society is no different to that of a shareholder in any corporate body in the sense that, if the business fails, they may not have all, or any, of their investment returned to them. Investments may be withdrawn without penalty, at the discretion of the Board of Directors. The Society, unlike banks and building societies, is not subject to prudential supervision by the Financial Conduct Authority.
For information about becoming a member or making an investment, contact
Investment Department, Chelmsford Star Co-operative Society Limited, FREEPOST ANG 2556, Chelmsford CM2 0YY