Need some inspiration for Shrove Tuesday? (5th March)
Classic Pancakes (v)
This is our go-to batter recipe. Decide whether to roll or fold, then choose from our toppings
Makes 10 • Ready in 25 mins, plus resting
- 150g Co-op plain flour
- 250ml Co-op semi- skimmed milk
- 2 Co-op British free-range eggs
- 20g Co-op unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus extra for greasing
- To make the batter, sift the flour into a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour in the milk, 50ml water and the eggs and whisk together until smooth. Set aside for 30 mins, then whisk in the butter.
- Heat a nonstick frying pan on medium heat. Grease the pan with a little butter, then pour in 2-3 tbsp batter, swirling until the base of the pan is coated. Fry for 1 minute, until set. Flip, then cook the pancake for 30 seconds to 1 minute more. Repeat with the remaining batter.
1 Lemon & sugar Serve the traditional way, with a squeeze of lemon juice and a dusting of sugar.
2 Feta, honey & thyme Try a Greek-inspired pancake: top with a little crumbled Feta and a drizzle of runny honey, then sprinkle with a few thyme leaves to serve.
3 Millionaire’s pancakes Here’s one for an indulgent treat: top your pancakes with a generous drizzle of ready-made caramel sauce and crumble over Co-op Irresistible shortbread squares.
4 Prosecco poached peaches For a grown-up topping, boil peaches, in enough water to cover, for 5 mins, cool, then peel and cut into slices. Poach in a pan with sugar and Prosecco until syrupy. Spoon the peaches and syrup over the pancakes and finish off with a spoonful of mascarpone.